Friday, June 8, 2012

The day running became more than exercise

Tonight I had one of the best runs I've ever had.  I didn't run super fast or super long, or achieve some big goal, but I noticed for the first time how good running makes me feel.

I had a bad week and have just been feeling angry and somewhat depressed for the last several days.  I never felt like doing much but sleeping and I couldn't muster up the desire to go for a run.  Tonight my husband has some friends staying at our house and I sucked it up to go be social, but I knew I wanted to run while the boys went out to dinner.  I planned on it being a 5 mile run and I planned on taking it at a slow, comfortable pace.

As soon as I got out there I felt the weight lift from my shoulders.  My head cleared and I could think straight for the first time in days.  I found perspective for my troubles and also found hope.  I found the courage and the strength to put a smile back on my face and to relax.

I suppose I knew that running could do this for people, but I never imagined it would do this for me.  Running is becoming more than just a means of exercise or losing weight.  Tonight's 5 mile run, done in 57:57, might just be my favorite run ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment