Saturday, June 9, 2012

Intervals for summer

Initially I planned on keeping up with my long runs during the summer because I really didn't want to lose all the endurance I built during half marathon training.  But as the days get hotter and the humidity gets thicker, I've realized that I'm just not going to be able to do that.  I'm not going to get out of bed at 7am on a weekend to go for a run - I'll save that for when I have children and I have no other choice.

Instead I've decided to devote my summer training to getting faster in 5Ks.  In order to do that I'm going to incorporate intervals into my training.  The plan is to do three interval runs a week, and then hopefully a long(er) run of about 5 miles.

Short intervals: 3 to 6 x 3 minutes at faster than 5K pace
Long intervals: 2 to 4 x half mile at 5K pace
Tempo run: 10 minute warm up, 15 to 25 minutes tempo, 10 minute cool down

I'm just in my first week of this training plan but I'm hoping I'll be able to see a difference in my 5K times by the end of the summer.  I'm determined to break 30:00 - I'm so close I can taste it!

No comments:

Post a Comment