Wednesday, March 19, 2014

2013 Goals in Review

Overall, I'm fairly happy with the work I did towards my goals this past year.  I had my shortcomings, of course, but mostly I did pretty well. 


Stay active and eat healthy throughout third trimester
Umm, I'm not sure what I meant by "stay active" since I was 100% inactive from the moment I found out I was pregnant.  I think I did one prenatal yoga DVD and one other prenatal exercise DVD sometime during the third trimester, but other than that I was L-A-Z-Y.  I gained way too much weight during pregnancy and it really showed after Meredith was born.  In all the photos I look enormous and it took awhile for the weight to start coming off.  I'm back to my pre-pregnancy weight now, but my body still doesn't look the same.  I fit in 90% of my old clothes which is great, but some things still don't fit the way I'd like.  Lots to work on, but I have returned to running and being active and that makes me very happy!

Have a safe and healthy delivery
Definitely checked this off.  Meredith was a big, healthy baby and I had a wonderful birth experience.  My doctor and all the nurses were fantastic and I can honestly say I enjoyed childbirth (thank you, epidural!).  The recovery was a little more on the unpleasant side, physically, but we had no major issues or complications.

Successfully breastfeed for one year
We got off to a rocky start with breastfeeding but I'm so proud that Meredith was exclusively breastfed from about 4 weeks old to just under 6 months and she is still breastfeeding once or twice a day at almost 1 year old.  I hope to fully wean her not long after her birthday, but I can tell she's not quite ready yet and I don't want to push her.

Complete Couch to 5K once approved for exercise by my doctor
I started Couch to 5K but did not finish it because the intervals weren't feeling right for me.  Also, my postpartum running had lots of starts and stops and it took awhile for me to get consistent with running again.  Still, the primary reason for completing C25K was to get back in running shape, which I did.

Start and stick with training plan for Princess Half Marathon
I started training for Princess in October and stuck very closely to the training plan.  Last time I trained for Princess I ended up skipping a lot of the long runs near the end and this time I really wanted to get them all in.  I did great until I was sick for the first 2 weeks of 2014 and I missed several long runs, but I made up most of them and felt very prepared.  The longest distance I covered before the race was 12 miles, compared to 11 miles when I trained in 2012.

Practice yoga once a week once approved for exercise by my doctor
I have practiced yoga exactly zero times since Meredith was born.  Well, I've done the P90X yoga DVD once or twice, but that's it.  I've really missed going to yoga class but it's been hard to find the time (and childcare) to make it to my old studio.  I really loved Gotta Yoga and I miss it a lot.  I'm hoping that with weaning and Meredith starting a Mother's Morning Out program soon I might have a chance to go once a week.  It's certainly obvious how much I'm lacking in flexibility these days!  Although I did bust out a headstand randomly one night last week.  I was proud (and surprised) that I could still do it!

Cook dinner at least 3 times per week
Once Meredith settled into a predictable routine I got a lot better about cooking.  We used to get takeout A LOT because I just didn't keep ingredients on hand to cook a lot of dinners.  I've tried to get better about keeping a well-stocked fridge and pantry and even do some (extremely) loose meal planning to make sure we have home cooked meals most nights.  Meredith is eating what we eat now which motivates me to cook healthy meals.  She doesn't eat a huge quantity of food yet, so we still have a lot of leftovers and I usually eat them for lunch.  I'd say I cook at least 3 times during a normal week, sometimes more.

Enjoy every single moment I have with my daughter
I'd like to think I've hit this goal out of the park.  I'm not perfect and I'm certainly guilty of having my nose stuck in my smartphone more than I should, but I do make a big effort to savor the moments I have with Meredith.  I am so happy and fulfilled as a stay-at-home mom and very fortunate that this was an option for us.  I know it's not for everyone but it's definitely for me!  I'm a homebody by nature so it doesn't bother me to be in our house most days.  I love watching Meredith discover new things and noticing all her little mannerisms.  She's my best buddy already!  I get teary thinking about her turning a year old, but it's been the best year of my life by far and she brings me more joy every day!

<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11996307/?claim=6f9b5zdb8yr">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

No comments:

Post a Comment