Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Hate

Yesterday North Carolina voted to amend the state constitution to state that marriage is between one man and one woman.  I cried when I heard the results.

Generally, I try to avoid political discussions with friends and family, I tune out political commercials and news clips, and I keep the majority of my beliefs to myself.  I think of politics as a necessary evil, but it only stresses me out and upsets me to hear about it so I avoid it.  There is one political issue, however, that I feel very strongly about - the right of every person to marry who they want, and have their marriage be legally recognized.

Amendment One is an embodiment of hate, discrimination, and bigotry, and I'm appalled that it's going to be part of North Carolina's constitution.  At church last Sunday my pastor said something in his sermon that resonated with me and will stay with me forever:

If anyone tries to get you to use your faith to promote hatred or bigotry,
you need to run in the opposite direction.

I will pray for the people who supported Amendment One.  I will pray that God releases the hate within their hearts.  I'm sorry for these people because somewhere along the way they have been misguided, they have allowed their faith to become a tool of oppression and discrimination.  I will pray for them to be forgiven.

No comments:

Post a Comment