Thursday, August 18, 2011

Today's Run: Eager beaver

Well, I guess I didn't learn much from Monday.  I learned I needed to take it slower, but I got over-excited by the success of yesterday's run and decided I just had to go out again today.  Same route, same program as yesterday, but I ran an average of a 13:30 pace.  My first mile was almost the same as yesterday, just about 10 seconds slower, but I was a lot slower on the second mile.  Albeit, it was about 10 degrees hotter than yesterday and more humid, so that in itself slowed me down.  But from the start my shins were feeling sore, and I knew about 10 minutes in that I should've rested today and run tomorrow.  All in all though, I think it will work out well because I'll definitely take tomorrow off and that will give me time to rest up for Saturday's long run.

I use the term "long run" loosely, as I'm planning only 1.5 miles.  But that's going to be 1.5 miles of consistent running, no walk breaks.  At least that's the goal.  I'm planning on doing it on the track at the YMCA so without any hills and a nice bouncy surface, I think I can accomplish it.

Even though today was slow and slightly painful, I'm still feeling very upbeat!  I'm icing my sore shins now, and I have that happy feeling you get after a good workout.  Also, I told my husband and his law partner today about my plans to run the Disney Princess Half Marathon, and my husband was a lot more supportive than I expected!  Typically he worries about the cost of these things, but he seemed pretty open to the idea.  His partner was very supportive, but I expected that because in the last year he's started doing triathlons and running all kinds of races.  He's trying to get my husband to join him in the YMCA's annual triathlon in May, and I've been encouraging him to join in as well.  We talked about it today at lunch and I think I can get him to do it!  I'm really excited because I think it will be so great for us to take our fitness journeys together!

Slow run, but great day :)

Miles logged: 3.1

No comments:

Post a Comment