Monday, August 15, 2011

Today's Run: Way too much, way too soon

I ran today, making today a success, but overall, today's run was a big FAIL.  That nice little plan I posted yesterday, that was right in the middle of very beginner and a little challenging?  Well, it turned out to be way too challenging for me.  Here's the breakdown of the run...

00:00-6:30 - ran
06:30-10:00 - walked
10:00-12:00 - ran
12:00-16:30 - walked
16:30-18:00 - ran
18:00-20:00 - walked
20:00-21:30 - ran
21:30-23:30 - walked
23:30-25:00 - ran
25:00-27:00 - walked
27:00-28:30 - ran
28:30-30:00 - walked

I ran on the nature trail in my neighborhood, which measured on MapMyRun as just about 1 mile long.  I made it almost to the end before I crossed paths with a very large bird, it looked like an egret or a crane or something!  It didn't move, so I just turned around after about .75 miles.  I was tired after the first tenth of a mile, but I kept going.  At 6:30 I just couldn't run anymore, so I had to stop and walk.  Looking back at it now, it seems like I came so close to my goal of 10 minutes of continuous running, but at the time I just couldn't do it.  Although as I look at my times now, I think I was going a bit too fast.  I believe I was on pace to run a 10 minute mile, but I think I'd be better suited at 11:30-12.  Overall, I covered over 2 miles (2.11 according to MapMyRun).  With warm-up and cool down included, I covered 3.1 miles (yay, 5K!).

I pushed way too hard at the beginning because I was struggling the entire last half of the run.  The last 90 seconds of running nearly killed me.  I think a major part of my fatigue came from dehydration.  I'd only drank one glass of water during the day, and one soda.  From now on I'm going to make it a point to drink more water throughout the day.

I also learned that I'm not a big fan of trail running.  The weather has been great and so it felt wonderful in the shade, but I didn't like the dirt getting in my socks and I didn't like the softness of the dirt.  I prefer harder surfaces.  Also, the fact that the giant bird blocked my path was pretty annoying.  But I did like that no one could see me.  I was entirely alone, no pedestrians or people driving by, no dozens of other people like at the gym.  I haven't decided yet if I'm going to do the trail for my next run of the week.  I'll either just run on the sidewalk or try out the track at the gym.

On a side note, one pretty silly thing that motivates me to run is getting to ice my shins after I'm done.  I have a hard time getting them stretched out enough, but the ice helps.  I have these cool ice packs from Target that came with bandages that have a little pocket for the ice pack, and then they velcro around your limb.  I always feel like a bad ass when I have them wrapped around my legs. :)

Miles logged: 3.1

No comments:

Post a Comment