Friday, December 30, 2011

Changes

I have been MIA lately, and that's because I haven't been running.  My last official training run was Monday, December 19.  Later that night after running, I found out I was pregnant.  Four days later, I found out that my hormone levels were severely low and that my pregnancy would end soon if they didn't drastically increase.  After a difficult and tearful Christmas, I found out on Tuesday that my levels didn't increase at all, and on Wednesday I miscarried.  I'm thankful that if this baby wasn't going to make it that it happened early and I required no medical intervention, but it's still been heartbreaking.

Needless to say, this has taken an emotional and physical toll on me.  After the first doctor's appointment, I was so upset I couldn't find the energy to exercise for several days.  On Tuesday I felt better and went to the Y with my husband so I could start trying to recover some normalcy.  I did a 10-minute running segment at 5.5mph and I think I covered about 10 more minutes over the rest of the workout.  I kept having to stop and walk because of lightheadedness.  I didn't look at my total distance for that workout, but I know I spent about 45 minutes on the treadmill (mostly walking).

Yesterday I really wanted to run and wanted to get my training back on track, so I went to the Y again.  This time I completed a 15-minute running segment at 5.5mph, but was only able to run about a minute longer after the walk break.  I had the same lightheaded feeling which I'm guessing is connected to the fact that the miscarriage is still in progress.  I walked for the last 15 minutes and ended up completing 2.25 miles.  I tried to ride the bike some, but I still didn't feel quite right so I stopped after 5 minutes.  I don't want to overdo it and I'm really hoping to be back in the game by the end of the weekend!

As a bright light through all of this darkness I've been living through, my husband gave me a really wonderful Christmas present.  The plan for my 1/2 marathon all along has been that I would go to Orlando with my mom because my husband couldn't get off work, and I would run the race while she cheered me on.  My gift on Christmas morning was finding out that my husband bought himself a plane ticket and hotel room to come down to Orlando the day before the race and leave that night after the race, and that he will be running the race with me!  I am so, so excited!  It will be so wonderful to do this together!

I have been wanting a change in scenery for my runs lately.  The idea of running through our neighborhood in the dark and the cold just hasn't excited me the last couple of weeks.  I really just want some sunshine and maybe some natural areas (with nice paved paths) to run through!  I think we might try out something different over the weekend.  I'm hoping I'll be up for a longer run!

While this pregnancy was unplanned and a big surprise for us, my husband and I were really excited about having a baby after the idea settled on us.  The loss, though early, was devastating.  We've decided to significantly change our plans and go ahead and start trying to get pregnant, because it's hard to imagine not having a baby now.  So we'll see what happens, but I'm hoping that soon this blog will be about running for two!

No comments:

Post a Comment