Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011 in Review

I was very tempted to use my recent weak workouts as an excuse not to run today.  I sent my hubby out on a bike ride and intended to stay curled up on the couch, claiming I needed more rest.  After about 5 minutes of reading race recaps on my favorite local healthy living blog, Peanut Butter Runner, however, I was ready to get out there and give it whatever I had.  I stepped outside briefly to get a feel for the weather and then put on shorts and a tank.  I'm so glad I went for this run!  The sunshine and warm temps felt wonderful and although I was still plagued by lightheadedness after a short time, I finished with some really great speeds!

1 mile - 9:55 (9:52 average pace)
.25 mile - 4:17 (walk break)
.5 mile - 4:50 (9:36 average pace)
.05 mile - 1:03 (walk break - I thought I was done after this and sat on the front porch for a couple of minutes soaking up more sunshine, but then I decided there was no reason I could bang out a final .2 so that I could finish at 2 miles)
.2 mile - 1:41 (9:03 average pace)

It was a nice final run for 2011, even though I wish I was out there doing my 9.5 mile long run that's on the schedule for this weekend!  I still haven't managed to get in the 8 mile run that was scheduled for 2 weeks ago, so 2012 will definitely be loaded with some back-to-back long run weekends to get ready for the half!

Tomorrow I plan on writing a post about goals, hopes, and dreams for 2012 so I thought today I would recap a little of what has gone on in 2011...

career
I've bounced around a lot this year, trying out 3 different jobs.  I started off doing about 8 weeks straight of document review, which I tend to enjoy but got really tired of in March.  My mom had been begging me to come work as a contractor with her in the real estate department of a local supermarket chain's corporate headquarters, so I decided to give that a try from March to July.  It was fine, but I felt the company really took advantage of me.  They paid me next to nothing, I was constantly told about rumors about how I was going to be hired permanently and was being considered for a job in the legal department, only to be rejected less than 24 hours after sending in an application.  I called it quits there and decided to try working in my husband's law office.  This was nice as I had an extremely flexible schedule, but my husband and I just weren't meant to work together and that's okay with me.  In September I headed back to document review and that's where I've been since.  It's still only a contract job, but I enjoy the work and I've made several friends there so it makes it much more enjoyable.  It also pays pretty well!  I still don't have any sort of game plan for an actual career that I'll be happy pursuing for years to come, but it's in the works.

health
During the first half of the year, I put on a significant amount of weight and floundered around with P90X and Insanity, completing about 2 weeks of each program before giving up and doing nothing for several more weeks.  During the summer, when I became too fat to wear any of my clothes, I reached my breaking point.  I made a conscious decision to start running and be patient with it, and in September I signed up for the Disney Princess Half Marathon.  I've made huge progress from the beginning, when running for 90 seconds/walking for 120 seconds for 30 minutes was a challenge.  My longest run to date has been 8 miles, and I can now run a sub-10:00 mile!  My fastest 5K time has been 33:00!  I haven't lost a ton of weight yet, only about 7 pounds, but the difference in how my body feels and how I fit in my clothes is apparent.  Still a long way to go, but I'm so proud of how much I've done already!

personal
The year has been pretty stable as far as my personal life.  My husband and I have a very happy marriage, we've stayed best friends, and still really enjoy spending time together after a year and a half of marriage and 5 and a half years of being together.  We did complete several things on the (very long) list of home improvements we need.  We fixed our pool, which had been a big hole with ripped liner and nasty green water for the past year, we had our bathroom completely retiled and a new shower put in, we replaced an air conditioner that had broken in fall of 2010, we furnished our dining room, and we got a baby grand piano!  We also went on our dream vacation to Maui, which was beyond incredible, and did a lot more traveling here on the mainland to Asheville, Charleston, New York, Savannah, and Myrtle Beach.  The only real bump in the road has been recently with our unexpected pregnancy and the heartbreaking loss a week later.  It's really thrown us for a loop but now we're both excited about moving on to a new year and our decision to start trying for a baby now!  Already the idea that we're trying to bring a new little person into our home has motivated me to tackle several home projects, including cleaning out and reorganizing our pantry!

{luau in Hawaii}

{traveling the road to Hana}

{Jackson Square in New Orleans}

{Top of the Rock in NYC}

Despite the hardships of this last week, it has been a truly wonderful year and I'm so thankful for all of my blessings.  I hope to make 2012 even better!  Happy New Year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment