Friday, January 13, 2012

Sidelined

After a wonderful high mileage week last week, this week I have been totally sidelined by bronchitis.  It started on Sunday and by Monday was kicking my butt.  I went to the doctor and got some antibiotics, but I'm still not feeling up to running...or doing much else, for that matter.

On top of the bronchitis, my pregnancy issues also became more complicated this week.  I learned that I did not miscarry a couple of weeks ago, but that my pregnancy still wasn't normal, and I was diagnosed as having an ectopic or tubal pregnancy.  That means that instead of attaching itself to my uterus, the little embryo implanted in one of my fallopian tubes.  Since there is no room for it to grow there, if it gets too big it could cause my tube to rupture.  This would lead to dangerous internal bleeding, surgery, and the loss of one tube.  Since the doctors felt like they caught it early enough to avoid surgery, they gave me an injection of methotrexate, which is supposed to dissolve the pregnancy naturally.  It's been a very emotional week.  The whole idea of a shot that ends my pregnancy is rather disturbing to me, but it was also hard to learn that yes, I was still pregnant but no, I would not be having a baby in 8 months.  I have to keep getting my blood drawn every week to make sure my pregnancy hormones are going down.  Once they hit zero, I will really be not pregnant anymore and I'll be able to resume having a normal life.  I wish this baby could just be safe and healthy, but now I want more than anything else for this ordeal to be over.

So with all of these medical issues, I haven't run or been to yoga.  I'm really missing yoga and I'm ready to get back to it.  After all I've been through, I think my body needs a good hot detox practice to really cleanse and get back on track.  Running gave me such peace of mind last week and I'm really missing it this week.  But next week we're doing a little traveling and I think I'm going to get in some excellent runs!

No comments:

Post a Comment