Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A super duper awesome run!

Tonight I had, as the title suggests, a super duper awesome run!  I really wanted to run 9.5 miles because that was the next long run on my schedule and I was feeling lousy for being behind and not fitting in the long runs like I should.  So I worked all day, came home and threw on my running clothes, and headed out the door.

The first 3 miles sucked.  My shin pains were back, I think due to not icing for a couple of weeks, and I wasn't enjoying myself.  At 3.1 I seriously considered stopping, but instead I just ducked in the house really quick and changed to a tanktop because it was really warm out.  Then I got back out there to see what I could do.

I focused on keeping my pace slow and comfortable so I could maintain it for the whole run.  Miraculously, my shins weren't hurting anymore!  So I plodded along at about a 12:00 pace, sometimes a few seconds slower, and planned to take a walk break at 4 miles.  At 4 miles I was feeling good, so I thought I'd try to get to 5.  Still feeling good at 5, maybe I can make it all the way to 6?  Rocking it out at 6, let's push through to 7!  Holy cow, I'm still running...7.5 miles, let's take a little walk break.  2 minutes of walking, back to running.  Feeling tired now, but I'm gonna make it through.  I'll just run to 8.5, but at 8.5, why not just run the last mile?  So I run the last mile, even pick up the pace, and finish this long run at 1:57:43!

Pretty slow overall...average pace of 12:28.  But, um, I just ran 4.5 miles without stopping!!!!  And it was EASY!  It felt good, I wasn't out of breath, I was just going!  I was in the zone, the miles were flying by, it was everything I've wanted out of running since I started in the summer!

Afterwards I was so tired and so sore!  I've been plodding around the house like a little old lady and pretty soon I will be heading to bed!

Did I mention that I ran 4.5 miles without stopping???!?!?!?!!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment