Sunday, September 25, 2011

About Tina

Thus far, this blog has been all about running, but I'd like to start making it more about my life as well.  To begin, here's a little about me...

I'm 24 years old.  I graduated from college in 2 years, thanks to lots of AP credits and a heavy course load, with a BA in Political Science.  I then went straight through to law school, from which I graduated in the customary 3 years.  That was in 2010.  I passed the bar on the first try and have worked various temp jobs loosely tied to the legal field since then.  I married my favorite person in the world on August 21, 2010 and we live in my hometown.  My hubby is also a lawyer and owns a very successful firm here in our town with another attorney.  Those are the basics.

I don't want to be a lawyer.  I haven't had a real job since graduating from law school, largely due to the fact that I don't apply to 90% of the job postings I see because I can't bear the thought of actually doing the job.  My heart's just not in this career.  Currently I'm doing document review (I sit at a computer all day long sifting through company emails and classifying them as either "responsive" or "not responsive" - not exactly challenging or rewarding) and it pays well but the work is only fairly reliable and I have to drive an hour away each day.  I'm struggling to find something that sparks passion and inspiration in me, something I can also make a career out of.

I tend to flit all over the board career-wise.  At several points during the last year I've considered being an accountant, an elementary school teacher, a nurse, a photographer, a writer, and a college adviser.  Now I'm starting to consider some type of fitness career as well.  I'm drawn to creative careers, but I lack the courage to "put myself out there," as they say.  I'm hoping running will help me gain confidence so that I can find the career that's right for me and pursue it with all of my heart.

Inspired by Healthy Ashley, I've decided to make a list of 1-, 5-, and 10-year goals.  This is going to be a work in progress and will probably have several drafts before I'm satisfied.  But I've got to start somewhere, so here is are my "Working Goals."

1-Year Working Goals
Run a half-marathon in 2:30 or less
Make yoga a regular part of my life
Get pregnant with first child

5-Year Working Goals
Pay off student loans
Run a marathon

10-Year Working Goals
Have 3 children

Sad, right?  That's all I've got for now.  The only concrete goal I have is the number of kids I want to have!  Okay, I'm discouraging myself.  I need to give myself credit for trying, and hope that in the coming months I'll have a little more direction.  Goal: make more goals!

No comments:

Post a Comment