Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Today's run: I am Super Girl, and I'm here to save the world!

I may not have super powers, and today's run was not super compared to all the amazing athletes in the world, but it was super for me!  I haven't been blogging about my runs lately because they've been so discouraging and I haven't had any progress.  My leg issues have continued to plague me, so this week I resolved to do some ankle strengthening exercises and some yoga to really stretch out my muscles.  My ankle exercises take about 10 minutes a day, and I did YogaX last night, so today I felt ready for a run!

The C25K program has not been working great for me the past few weeks so I have decided, as I often do when plans don't pan out the way I want them to, to go rogue.  I'm going to start focusing on a distance of 3 miles because that's the base for all of the half marathon training programs out there.  Today I decided to run on the nature trail since it's soft surface and I planned on doing 3 laps.  Well, I did just that and it went great!  I also tried to run faster than I have been--no little shuffly-shuffle.  I ran the first mile without stopping in 10:30.  Then I did a 2:30 walk break, followed by a 5-minute run, 5-minute walk break, then finished up with two more 5-minute runs with a 3-minute walk in between.  That's...10:30-2:30-5-5-5-3-5.  And my time for 3 miles was 34:26!  Even better than my goal time of 36:00!   I'm very happy with it!

Hopefully I've found a mix of yoga/strengthening/running that will help me actually start to see progress.  Also, I'll be running with a buddy starting on Thursday...more about that later this week! :)

Miles logged: 3.75

No comments:

Post a Comment