Friday, September 23, 2011

Meet Toby!

Today I went on my first (well, tried to, anyway) run with my new running buddy, Toby!  Here he is...


Yes, Toby is a Garmin Forerunner 305.  I've been wanting one for awhile now but kept telling myself I'd wait until I was committed to running before making that kind of investment.  One day this week, though, I was looking at it during my lunch break and decided to just go ahead and take the plunge!  I definitely wanted it before the Princess Half, and I knew if I got it earlier it would just help me with training.  I bought it for $138.88 from Amazon, which I thought was a great deal!  It arrived last night and I was like a kid on Christmas morning driving home from work yesterday...I just couldn't wait to open it up and start playing with it!

So today I decided to run with Toby after work.  It took no time at all for him to find the satellites, and was super accurate on distance readings.  Pace was pretty accurate too, but I think it takes him a little time to adjust and my pace is not very constant at this point.  When I was running, though, I managed to stay pretty steady around 10:30, with which I am very happy!  I had hardly run .2 miles, though, when the problems became apparent...

1. It was super humid outside today!  I'm really over the humidity and ready for crisp fall weather to settle in.  It will be so much better for my running!
2. My legs are very sore and tired from yoga.  I've done yoga twice this week and really worked my legs hard, in addition to my run earlier in the week.  They just didn't have it in them today.
3. It has rained for the last several days and although the sun did come out earlier this afternoon, the nature trail was pretty water logged so I was running on the street.  I don't enjoy it as much--less shade, harder on the legs, people looking at me--and my poor little legs just couldn't take it.
4. For some inexplicable reason, I was doing all my running in uphill areas of the neighborhood.  I know that this will come to my advantage in my race because the route is almost totally flat, but I wasn't feeling the hills today.
4. I am EXHAUSTED.  This has been my first full week back at work, getting up at 6am every day, and I'm just ready to crash.  I don't think I had the energy for a run on hard pavement in high humidity.

Excited as I was about Toby, I headed for home after just a mile, of which I only ran .75.  I was drenched in sweat from the humidity, even though I hadn't gotten my heart rate up super high.  So now I'm crashed on the couch, planning on letting my husband go to dinner with his brother, and I'm just going to go to sleep.

I'm getting a mani/pedi with my mom tomorrow at 10am, but I plan to get up at least by 8 and go for another run with Toby!  And I don't plan to let him down this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment