Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Fast out of the gate

Today it was cooler than it's been in awhile, it hovered around 57-61 degrees all day.  It also misted the entire day--sometimes actual raindrops fell, but it was mostly mist that floated around and made everything damp.  During my short affair with running a couple of years ago, I always seemed to have my best runs on chilly, misty days like this, so I was excited all day long about running today.

My hubby discouraged me from running tonight because he was worried I would get sick from being out in the cold and the wet.  It was tempting to latch on to this ready-made excuse and just cuddle up on the couch by the fire, but I kept my focus and headed out there!

I was so excited about the run that I started off very fast at about a 9:30 pace, and ended up running the first mile in 10 minutes.  This is faster than I've ever completed a mile before, so that was exciting!  But it was too much for my legs, and they bothered me for the rest of the run.  I made it through, though, and I actually really enjoyed it.  So now I'm enjoying cuddling up on the couch by the fire, but with the satisfaction that I completed the first workout of training week 2! :)

And now for a little rant, because this is my blog and I can say what I want...

I saw something on Facebook today that both irritated and inspired me.  A friend of my aunt's posted the story about Amber Miller running/walking the Chicago Marathon and giving birth later that day.  She made the comment that it was ridiculous, and why would anyone want to do that 39 weeks pregnant or ever.  My aunt expressed similar sentiments.  It bothers me when people try to make fit individuals feel bad or crazy for pushing their limits, breaking barriers, and making huge achievements.  I think that Amber Miller is awe-inspiring and I only hope to maintain that level of fitness when I'm pregnant.  Judging from the fact that she gave birth to a healthy little girl, completing the marathon was a perfectly safe choice for her.  She stated that she had support from her doctor as well as the marathon officials.  I say more power to her, and thank her for being such a positive role model and example for women and athletes everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment