Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Strength and gratitude

Today's run was really strong!  It was a 30 minute run and my goal was a 5:1 ratio.  Hubby went with me and we had a really nice time.  The leaves are changing and looking beautiful in our neighborhood, the temperature was perfectly crisp, and we were able to chat some as we ran.  It made the whole thing so pleasant!

Also very pleasant was how strong I felt today!  During last week's 5:1 run, I was struggling after the first 2 running segments.  That was mostly because of leg pain, but I was also a bit winded.  Today I felt strong throughout the whole run, I might could even have done a 6:1.  My goal is to eventually be running 3 miles during all of these 30 minute runs, but I'm not quite there yet.  With about 1:20 to go I was at 2.83 miles, so I pushed and ran really fast for the last little bit, ending up at 2.96.  Sooo close!  But I felt good and strong even at the speedy part, so that put a big smile on my face even if I feel short of the 3 miles :)

Yesterday's Vinyasa class was also wonderful!  At the beginning of the class the instructor told us to think of someone towards whom we felt gratitude, who made it possible for us to be at yoga class.  There was no question in my mind who that was for me - my very sweet husband.  On Sunday I made a big batch of vegetarian chili in the crock pot to take to work for my lunch this week, but I didn't start until 7pm.  I thought it would only take 3 hours, but at 11:30 it still wasn't done.  I have to get up at 5:45am to make the hour's drive to work, so it was already way past my bedtime.  Pete offered to stay up with the chili so I could go to sleep, and he stayed up until it was done at 1am and then put it in five individual containers, one for each day of the week.  That's only the most recent example, but he works so hard for our family and encourages me in both my running and my yoga.  So I dedicated my practice to Pete and focused on sending him all my good feelings and thoughts.  I told him about it when we both got home, and he told me that he actually had one of his best nights at his tennis group.  Guess all those good feelings made it to him!

The pose we worked towards in class was Frog and when we got there, we stayed in it for what felt like forever!  It was really tough, but I made it through the whole thing and it felt amazing afterwards.  My hips felt so open, even throughout the day today!  We also did Mountain Climber, which my teacher said I could do if I let go of the fear of supporting my weight with my arms.  Easier said than done!  I was still feeling good and happy from yoga when I got home and kept practicing a few things, and I ended up achieving Tripod Headstand for the first time!  Yay me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment