Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Fight to the finish

Today's run was long and hard.  Sore from the vigorous yoga practice yesterday, my legs felt sluggish and crampy.  Weekly runs never seem to go as well for me as the weekend runs.  I am more tired on weekdays from getting up early for work, but I also hate the timed runs, and all my weekday runs are 30 minutes.  I know eventually that short amount of time will be a welcome break for me, but right now these runs are just plain tough.

I decided to try something different for tonight's run.  I've been feeling sneezy today (mostly due to the fact that our bathroom has been in the process of being retiled for the last 6 weeks and our bedroom has been in a constant haze of tile dust--it's finally getting to my sinuses) and I worried about being able to make it through tonight's run.  When I set out and felt tired after only 3 minutes, I decided to complete this workout at a 5:1 run/walk ratio.  That means I ran for 5 minutes and walked for 1 minute, then repeated until I had spent 30 total minutes running.  I thought this would be easier on me, but it got pretty tough at the end!  I had to take a 2 minute walk break after the fourth running interval.  I finished with a total of 2.88 miles at 36:00...definitely not my fastest, but I've got to give myself a pat on the back for just completing this workout.

Now to figure out what to do for the rest of the week.  I'm definitely planning my long run (4 miles!) for Sunday, because that seems to be the day that works best for me.  I'd like to have at least 2 rest days before my long run, so I need to do my other 30 minute run either tomorrow or Thursday.  I'm planning on another Vinyasa class Friday after work, but I'd really like to squeeze in another yoga class this week as well (while I've got the 1-week unlimited starter pass).  Initially I wanted to do my other run tomorrow and go to another Vinyasa class taught by Emily (instructor from Monday night, she was great!) on Thursday.  Now I'm concerned that my legs might still feel pretty beat down tomorrow and maybe I should go to the Vinyasa Chill class tomorrow night instead.  Decisions, decisions...

It sure feels great checking all these runs off my training schedule, which is hanging on the fridge! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment